Check out the NCAPA news and events for the week and the week to come!
Photos - Left: Creative Commons, Right: Nisha Ramachandran
NCAPA Members in the News
Members mark 15th anniversary of Executive Order 13166 on language access: On Aug. 15, 2000, an Executive Order promised language resources and access for all, but 15 years later, the Limited English Proficient community still does not receive the help they need. NCAPA and several organizations marked the anniversary with a call to action for federal agencies to ensure the LEP community has access to services. Read more through our op-eds from NCAPA, AAJC, and Kathy Ko Chin from APIAHF. Also be sure to read our issue brief here.
National Health Center Week: Community Health Centers have provided accessible and quality care to everyone regardless of language, culture, immigration status and ability to pay. Read AAPCHO’s toolkitand the conversation through #NHCW15 on Facebook and Twitter.
NCAPA intern writes reflection: NCAPA intern Angie Tran, an incoming junior at the University of Oklahoma and OCA intern, ended her internship today. Angie was able to work with NCAPA staff on various types of projects from policy to communications this summer. Read her reflection piece here.
Conventions hosted by NCAPA members: The National Association of Asian American Professionals, National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance, and the National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association hosted their conventions and summit this past week.
NCAPA brown bag lunch series ends: After a full summer, NCAPA wrapped up their final brown bag on Tuesday with NAPAWF discussing sex-selective abortion. We want to thank everyone who came to support the brown bags and we give a special thanks to SALDEF, SAALT, JACL and NAPAWF for presenting on issues important to their respective organizations.
SEARAC: Extend Touch Hak’s Stay of Removal So He Can Save Brother’s Life (Deadline: Aug. 12)
SAALT & NAPAWF: Amicus brief sign-on for Purvi Patel. Contact Jennifer Chou at email@example.com for more info. (Deadline: Aug 28)
APAICS: Regional Leadership Academy in Chicago (Oct. 16-17)
CAAM: Memories to Light Campaign (Ends at midnight)
APIASF: AANAPISI Scholarship Program
Mike M. Masaoka Congressional Fellowship (2 positions open)
DC Mayor’s Office on API Affairs: Fall Internship Program
NAPABA: McGuireWoods/NLF Undergraduate Internship Program. (Applications for Spring 2016 due Nov. 20.)
NAPAWF: Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
OCA: Civic Engagement Associate (Deadline: Today, Aug. 14)
OCA-DC: Greater Washington D.C. Mentoring Asian American Professionals Program (Deadline: Aug. 19)
SEARAC: Leadership, Empowering and Advocacy Fellowship (LEAF) (Deadline: Aug. 23)
- Thursday, Aug. 13 - Sunday, Aug. 16:APALA 13th Biennial Convention in San Diego, CA
- Saturday, Aug. 15: NaFFAA Region 1 Conference in Philadelphia, PA
- Thursday, Aug. 20: Addressing the Stigma: AAPIs & Mental Health Webinar. NCAPA health committee. RSVP here.
- Monday, Sept. 14 - Wednesday, Sept. 16: APIAHF VOICES Conference in D.C.
- Tuesday, Sept. 22 - Thursday, Sept. 24: CNHA Native Hawaiian Convention in Honolulu, HI
- Saturday, Sept. 26 - Sunday, Sept. 27:Center for APA Women National Leadership Summit and 20th Anniversary Reception in Redmond, WA. NCAPA Partners use Discount Code - 2015NCAPA - for 10% discount.
- Monday, Sept 28: APAICS Golf Classic in Dumfries, VA
- Monday, Sept. 28 - Wednesday, Sept. 30:National CAPACD 15th Annual Convention in D.C.
- Saturday, Oct. 3: SAALT’s Be the Change Annual Day of Service